Blog #3: Natural Hazards

There is a lot of hazards places to live in Alaska but there is safe place to live Alaska free Hazards.

Th safest place to live in Alaska is in the North Slope of Alaska, from Wainwright to Barrow, along the northern coast line of Alaska that facing the Arctic Ocean. This area is safe from natural hazard: no volcanoes, no earthquakes, no tsunamis, and no avalanches. Barrow is where is I live as math teacher at the local high school. The only thing you need to put up with is the negative 40 degree Fahrenheit that is the coldest it has been so far this year. There is no mountains, no volcanoes, and no trees.

In trying to determine which is the most hazardous area in Alaska, I must consider in my decision based on the effect it has caused or could cause again to that population of that area. If only a few people live in that area versus several hundred versus thousands of people, then a new perspective must be taken into consideration on human cost in that natural hazardous area being studied for consideration to be the worst area to be at or near it based on high population areas.

I have concluded that the area from the city of Anchorage to the city of Kenai along the the Cook Inlet area to the city of Seward is very hazardous area.

Mt. Redoubt is volcano that erupted in 1989: the eruption in 1989 spewed volcanic ashes to a height of 45,000 ft (14,000 m) and in doing so affected hazardously the commercial flight of a major airlines, that is, KLM, Boeing 747, in its plume. The aircraft   descended 13,000 feet where the pilots restarted the engines and landed the plane safely at Anchorage. But more than that the ashes spread out in the area causing the air to be contaminated.

In 1964, the Great Alaskan earthquake, at 5:36pm, on Good Friday, on March 27, a 9.2 magnitude earthquake hit near Anchorage. Most of the damage caused by the earthquake occurred in Anchorage, 75 mi from the actual epicenter of the earthquake. It was most powerful earthquake recorded in North America and second largest recorded in the world history. Six hundred miles of the fault ruptured at once and moved up to 60 ft, and releasing about 500 years of stress buildup. Destroyed were buildings, infrastructure (paved streets, sidewalks, water and sewer mains, electrical systems, and other man-made equipment), It caused serious and extensive damage to that city, and schools were uprooted. Later, tsunamis hit the area causing indirectly landslides.This earthquake area is associated with the Pacific Rim of Fire. Other damaged areas include Seward, where railroad tracks were distorted.Tsunamis followed that earthquake that affected the coastal areas of the south central coastal areas of Alaska and affected the surrounding area and all the way to create associated tsunamis to California and Hawaii.   As a result of this earthquake, 131 people are believed to have died related to this earthquake. In 2018, on November 30, near   Anchorage, 7.1 earthquake, and after shocks occurred.

I will not move to Anchorage.

Leave a Reply